Lisle Nabell, M.D., University of Alabama at Birmingham
Cisplatin and Docetaxel Plus Docetaxel and Radiotherapy With Amifostine for Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck
Cancer of Head and Neck
Head and Neck Cancer
Phase 1/Phase 2
This trial seeks to accomplish both local and regional control of head and neck cancer and
reduce systemic metastatic disease. To do this, patients will received chemotherapy
followed by chemotherapy and radiation (given together) with an escalating dose of
Ages Eligible: 19 Years
Accepts Healthy Volunteers:
- The patient has histologically proven primary or recurrent squamous cell carcinoma
arising in the oropharynx, oral cavity, hypopharynx, larynx, or nasopharynx.
- The patient has stage III or IV disease.
- Performance status < 2 (ECOG scale) with a life expectancy of > 12 months.
- Age 19 years and above.
- The patient is medically fit to tolerate a course of definitive radiation therapy.
- The patient has:
1. adequate hepatic function with bilirubin < upper limit of normal (ULN)
2. transaminases (SGOT and SGPT) may be up to 2.5 x ULN if alkaline phosphatase is
< ULN, or alkaline phosphatase may be up to 4 x ULN if transaminases are <
3. adequate renal function with serum creatinine < 1.5 mg/dl (or estimated
creatinine clearance of > 50 mL/min)
4. normal serum calcium
5. adequate hematologic function as: defined by an absolute neutrophil count >
1500/ml, hemoglobin > 8.0 g/dl, and platelet count > 100,000/ml.
- The patient may have had a prior malignancy but must be three years from treatment.
- A history of superficial non-melanoma skin cancer or in situ carcinoma of the cervix
less then three years will be allowed.
- The patient must agree to use effective contraception if procreative potential
exists, and continue contraception for at least 6 months following completion of the
- Patient must sign informed consent.
- The patient has received radiation therapy previously to the head and neck.
- The patient has received prior chemotherapy for head and neck cancer.
- The patient is pregnant or lactating.
- Peripheral neuropathy > Grade 2.
- Serious non-malignant disease (e.g. congestive heart failure, uncontrolled atrial
fibrillation, active hepatitis).
- Any underlying psychological condition that would prohibit the understanding and
rendering of informed consent.
- Patients with a history of severe hypersensitivity reaction to docetaxel or other
drugs formulated with polysorbate 80 must be excluded.
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama, 35294
Back to Search Results
Information objtained from ClinicalTrials.gov, on
4/19/2014. For additional information about
this and other clinical trials,
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: