Nutrition and Exercise Studies for Breast Cancer
An active lifestyle and a healthy diet can help you feel more energetic, control your weight, help you sleep better, and reduce your risk of many diseases. Researchers at UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center are interested in discovering the effects of innovative diet and exercise programs on breast cancer survivors as well as women who are at risk for breast cancer.
Select a study below to find out if you're eligible, and to see details and contact information.
Studies for breast cancer survivors
For breast cancer survivors who are interested in weight loss and helping researchers test the effects of a medication called metformin, which may help reduce breast cancer recurrence and increase survival rates. The medication is currently used for diabetes, but can be safely taken by non-diabetics. The study is looking for breast cancer survivors who:
- Were diagnosed in the previous five years with Stage I-III breast cancer
- Were post-menopausal at the time of breast cancer diagnosis
- Are able to communicate dietary and physical activity data via telephone
- Are interesting in learning more about a healthy lifestyle
For more details on participating in Reach for Health, contact Jesica Oratowski Coleman, 858-822-3311.
Studies for those who have never had breast cancer
Examines the differences among three diets of differing composition on weight loss and cancer biomarkers
- Healthy, overweight women
- Over 21 years of age
- BMI (body mass index) higher than 30, less than 40
- Willing and able to participate in clinic visits, group sessions, and telephone and Internet communications at specified intervals
- Able to provide data through questionnaires and by telephone
- Willing to allow blood collections
- No known allergy to tree nuts
- Able to be physically active
For more information on the MENU study please contact Elizabeth Quitana, MS, RD, at 858-822-6162 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Explores the role of diet and exercise in female breast cancer survivors who are at risk for recurrence.
- Four-year study
- At least 21 years old
- Diagnosed with Stage I-III breast cancer within the previous five years and have completed their initial treatment
- Willing and able to attend group meetings and maintain contact with investigators for two years
- Able to be physically active
- Not currently enrolled in another nutrition or weight loss study
For more Information on ENERGY, please contact (858) 822-2779 or email@example.com or visit
Aims to reduce breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women through lifestyle change, using Internet-enhanced telephone counseling intervention.
- Two-year study
- Women between the ages of 45 to 70
- Able to increase their physical activity and improve their diet
- Must have high-speed Internet access
- Able to attend four appointments at UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center
For more information on participating in the HELP study, call 858-822-2895, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit http://healthyeatingucsd.org/pages/research.htm.