Patient & Family Support Service
For a full schedule of all patient and family events, see the monthly calendar or event listing.
Despite dramatic advances in care, cancer can create turmoil and crises in the lives of patients. Along with managing symptoms and treatment, many psychological and social problems can arise — ranging from concerns about appearance and employment, to talking with a spouse or family member. Patients are often reluctant to talk about these significant problems with their physicians, not wanting to distract from the primary focus of cancer treatment. But research shows that hidden anxiety and other psychosocial problems can be barriers to effective care.
Patient & Family Support Service assists patients and their families in facing the challenges of cancer. We ensure that, from your very first visit to the Cancer Center, you will never feel alone.
This uniquely integrated team of cancer experts includes social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, palliative care specialists, and volunteers. All programs and services are tailored to the needs of our patients, their families, and the community and are scientifically evaluated to ensure that they enhance medical treatment, maximize coping, and improve quality of life.
Learn about our assistance areas:
- Patient Family Resource Center: A place for patients, family, and the community to find the most up-to-date information, staffed by volunteers
- Psychology Services offers individual, couples, and family counseling, as well as medication evaluation and management, to help you cope with the psychological challenges of cancer.
- Social workers who will remain a key part of your healthcare team from diagnosis through treatment.
- Support groups (general or by cancer type) are available at no cost for you and your family.
- Pastoral and spiritual care can be an integral part of the healing process.
- Palliative care program, with the goal of managing symptoms and controlling pain to achieve the best quality of life for patients and their families.
- Classes and workshops including yoga and meditation, creativity groups, and educational workshops, most at no cost.
- Chemotherapy preparation and BMT classes will help you navigate cancer treatment at our center.
- Find a list of organizations offering education, support, or products, arranged by cancer type
- Lifestyle services to aid in transportation, finance, and other areas.
To find out more, contact Patient & Family Support Services, (858) 822-5381.
PFSS is funded through grants and private philanthropy. Find out more about become a PFSS supporter.