Transportation to and from the Cancer Center can sometimes be difficult for patients and their families. Below are a number of transportation options that may help.
To speak to a Cancer Center social worker about transportation assistance, call 858-822-2168.
UC San Diego Shuttle
Patients can use the "H" (Hillcrest - Campus) shuttle free of charge. It stops near the Cancer Center and travels to the medical center in Hillcrest and the UC San Diego campus. In Hillcrest, the H shuttle stops west of the circle drive, in front of the Arbor parking garage. In La Jolla, it stops at Campus Point and Medical Center drives. It leaves every half-hour from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. View shuttle schedule.
North County Transit District
810 Mission Avenue
Oceanside, CA 92054-2825
- Service area: Residents of Carlsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, Escondido, Solana Beach, San Marcos, Vista, Camp Pendleton, the unincorporated communities of Fallbrook, and Ramona.
- You can also transfer to San Diego paratransit services.
- You must complete an application to become ADA certified. Access it online (select "Complete ADA application"), call 760-966-6525 to have one mailed to you, or pick one up at NCTD, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. You will receive a decision by mail within 21 days.
- Schedule rides at least 14 days in advance.
MTS Access/Paratransit Services
- Service area: San Diego areas other than those served by NCTD (see above)
- Website: www.adaride.com and select "Complete ADA Application."
American Cancer Society
For San Diego and Imperial counties
Road to Recovery Program
- Volunteer-based service
- For persons with cancer only
- 7-10 day advance notice is necessary
- No wheelchairs
- Person must be ambulatory, with no bone involvement.
American Cancer Society Transportation Reimbursement Program
- 2-way transport between El Centro and Calexico to La Jolla (Thornton Hospital)
- Hours: 4 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Provides round trip four days a week, with alternating service Mondays and Fridays
- Every two weeks, service provided between El Centro and South County
- Pick up in front of Thornton Hospital at 1:30 - 2 p.m.
- $15 per passenger round trip with pickup at central location, or $21 round trip with home pickup
- For patients or families
- Schedule ahead by phone, or visit www.thearc.org for more information.
iTNSan Diego, Dignified Transportation for Seniors
405 University Avenue, Suite 110
San Diego, CA 92105
Jewish Family Services
- Service area: zip codes 92127, 92128, 92129, 92131, 92064, 92117, 92037, 92111, 92121
- Rides and Smiles program for adults age 60+
- 7-day advance notice required
- Fee based on miles traveled
- Visit http://jewishfamilyservice.org/
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
8575 Gibbs Avenue, Suite 262
San Diego, CA 92123
- Must be receiving treatment for one of their covered diseases or syndromes including, but not limited to: multiple myeloma, leukemia, lymphoma, or primary amyloidosis.
- Must complete application and be approved.
- $150 per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30); no reporting required.
- Visit leukemia-lymphomasociety.org
- Service area: Downtown San Diego and outlying areas, including Spring Valley, La Mesa, El Cajon, Santee, Clairemont, and Chula Vista.
- Transport to medical appointments, with no eligibility requirements.
- Rate for ambulatory: $25 round trip, plus $1/mile.
Rate for wheelchair: $85 flat fee.
- Accepts all major credit cards.
- Same-day service is considered, but 1-day notice is preferred.
Ride with Emilio
PO Box 86165
San Diego, CA 92138
- Pick up location must be within the San Diego area.
- Transportation appointments: 619-944-1754, Mon.-Fri., 8 am to 5 pm
- For pediatric patients with cancer only
- 7-10 day advance notice is necessary
- Folding transportable lightweight wheelchairs accepted
- Person must be ambulatory
- No charge
- Patients should be receiving treatment in San Diego hospitals
- Child should be accompanied by a responsible adult over 21 years