Bannister Family House
The mission of Bannister Family House (BH) is to provide affordable lodging and supportive services for out-of-town families of patients who have come to UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest or Thornton Hospital in La Jolla due to serious injury or illness. It is a haven of comfort and hope for weary families who share similar experiences and concerns in friendly, homelike surroundings close to the hospital.
The non-medical atmosphere of the house provides a retreat from the stress of keeping a constant bedside vigil at the hospital. Families have a chance to meet other families in similar situations and develop a support network necessary to sustain a loved one through serious illness.
While it is a possible living option, Bannister House is not dedicated solely to cancer patients and their caregivers. A few considerations include:
- Priority is given to trauma, burn and transplant patients.
- Bannister House will consider cancer patients on a case-by-case basis.
- Because Bannister House is not medical facility, every resident patient must have a companion with them to assist with arrangements, mobility, etc.
- Patients must live a minimum of 65 miles away from San Diego.
- The minimum stay is three nights; the maximum for transplants is 90 days; this is reviewed on a case-by-case basis for others.
Other housing options that offer a UCSD discount include:
- Days Hotel/Bachman/Hotel Circle for $69 or $79
- Residence Inn/La Jolla $149 (includes breakfast/other amenities)
More Information & House Tour
For referral information, contact the Social Services Department at (619) 543-5730 or call the Bannister Family House at (619) 543-7977.