- 1 tablespoon olive oil (more, if needed)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup small pitted green olives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small jar (6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts (drained, each piece cut into 2 or 3 smaller pieces)
- 1 large eggplant (peeling optional), cut into1/2-inch cubes
- Pinches of dried basil and/or oregano (to taste)
- Saute the onion, garlic and olive oil in a pan that has a lid. Gently stir the mixture together to coat evenly, over medium to medium-low burner for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped eggplant, stir to mix ingredients and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally (by keeping the lid on the pot, it should not be necessary to add any more oil or liquid).
- When eggplant is soft (cooked through), add the tomato paste and red wine vinegar, stir, bring to a boil, then remove from burner.
- Add the drained artichokes and green olives. Blend all ingredients well by gently mixing. Serve cold or at room temperature (on crisped pita rounds or whole grain crackers).
Makes 6 1/2 cup servings. Each serving provides about 125 calories, 3 g protein, 7 g fat (1 g sat), 15 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 700 mg sodium, 330 mg potassium, and 40 mg calcium.
Adapted from a recipe by Mollie Katzen, published in Hope's Edge (Francis Moore-Lappe & Anna Lappe, 2002).