African Chickpea and Spinach Soup
This colorful soup is loaded with protective carotenoids. The peanut butter adds richness, making this a hearty "meal in a bowl." Adapted from Vegetarian Times (3/01/2007)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced (about 1-2 tsp.)
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 12 oz. fresh spinach, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 tsp. paprika
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, and saute 5 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until garlic is lightly browned.
Add paprika, cumin, and cayenne.
Stir in peanut butter mixture, chickpeas and tomatoes. Simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in spinach just before serving.
Makes 8 cups (or 4 2-cup servings). Each 2-cups provides: 340 calories, 19g protein, 16g fat (3g sat), 0mg cholesterol, 38g carbohydrates, 9g fiber, 430mg sodium, 1140mg potassium, 200mg calcium.