These mushrooms are delicious as an appetizer over goat cheese. Sprinkle the goat cheese and mushrooms with a little paprika for added color and serve with whole-grain crackers, like Ak Nok.
- 1 10-oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 lg. onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce (preferably tamari)
- 2 tbsp. sherry or red wine (water or broth can be substituted)
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil Red pepper flakes to taste, start with a sprinkle (optional)
Saute muchrooms and onion in olive oil over medium-low heat until lightly browned (about 10 minutes). To prevent burning, you can add the vinegar and soy sauce, and then cover the pan. Stir occasionally. When the onions and mushrooms are fully cooked, stir in the sugar and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. You may add the pepper flakes at this time for additional flavor ("take it up a notch," as Emerill would say). This sauce can be served warm over meat, tofu, rice, or another grain. Alternatively, you can cool the sauce and serve it with goat cheese or lowfat cream cheese and crackers as an appetizer.
Yield: 2 cups or 8 1/4-cup portions. Each portion provides about: 70 calories, 1g protein, 4g fat, (<1g sat), 0mg cholesterol, 9g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 20mg sodium, 170mg potassium, and 13mg calcium.