Edamame & Cilantro Salad with Shrimp
Notes: Although shrimp has more cholesterol than any other shellfish except squid, the cholesterol in shrimp has not been shown to be as much of a problem as cholesterol in other foods. Also, shrimp are very low in saturated fat, which has been shown to raise blood cholesterol more than dietary cholesterol. Furthermore, shrimp contains heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Any firm white fish or scallops can be used instead of shrimp. And for vegetarians, mandarin orange slices can be used instead of shrimp. If no animal protein is used, then the edamame should be increased to 2 cups and toasted almonds and/or sesame seeds can also be added.
Adapted from Eating Well, March/April 2007
- 16 oz. raw frozen medium-size shrimp (without heads/tails)
- 2 cups diagonally sliced fresh sugar snap peas (or snow peas with strings removed)
- 1/2 tbsp. canola or olive oil
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1-1/2 cups thawed shelled edamame
- 8 cups mixed Asian greens or salad greens
- 3/4 cup dressing (Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette: See Below)
Heat broiler. Place shrimp in small bowl and coat with oils. Place in a single layer on foil-lined cookie sheet. Broil on high for about 2 minutes until thawed and fully cooked. Set aside.
Combine shrimp, greens, snow peas, bell pepper, cabbage, cilantro, edamame and dressing in a large bowl. Toss to coat.
Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 2-1/2 tbsp. tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated orange peel (optional)
- 1-1/2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
Whisk orange juice, vinegar, tamari, oil, honey, and ginger in a small bowl until the honey is incorporated. Makes 3/4 cup.
Yield: Makes 4 servings. Each serving provides about 345 calories, 30g protein, 14g fat (2g sat), 160mg cholesterol (see note), 26g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 1105mg sodium, 1090mg potassium, 225mg calcium.