Notes: Two cups makes a very quick and nourishing dinner served with some crusty bread and some lower fat cheese like feta, along with a salad. Key protective nutrients in this soup include folate, fiber, and the protective carotenoid lutein.
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth; or 4 cups water with 5 T. light miso)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped or minced)
- 12 oz jar green chili salsa or salsa verde (mild)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3.5 cups (1 lb. bag) frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Garnish with 2 jalapenos, seeded & chopped (optional)
Saute chopped onion in olive oil until translucent. Add salsa, corn, peas, broth and garlic, and simmer for 5-8 minutes. Puree half of mixture in blender with cilantro. Return pureed mixture to rest of soup. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Ready to serve.
Makes approximately 8 one-cup servings. Each one cup contains: 133 calories, 4.5 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 4.5 g fat. Count each cup as 1 1/2 servings of vegetables toward your 5-9 serving daily goal.