African Chicken-Peanut Soup (Quick Meal - 15 minutes)
Notes: This rich-tasting soup is rich in fiber and protective nutrients, including carotenoids and fiber. The chicken and peanut butter add protein making this soup a full meal in a bowl.
- 1 med. onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 12-oz bottled salsa (Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic Salsa is good)
- 1 15-oz can yams (not candied), drained, rinsed* (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 tbsp. oil 1 15-oz can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 12.5 oz can chicken, drained
- 2 15-oz chicken-rice soup (Healthy Choice preferred)
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (old-fashioned without added sugar best)
Saute the onions in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic, salsa, yams, black beans, cumin, broth, and soup. Bring to a simmer. Stir in chicken and peanut butter.
*If you prefer flavor of fresh sweet potatoes, you can prepare these quickly by peeling and cutting fresh sweet potatoes into half-inch cubes (enough to make 2 cups raw). Put into microwave-safe dish, add about an inch of water, cover, and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes until slightly softened.
Makes 10 cups or 6 portions. Each portion provides about 415 calories, 27g protein, 13g fat, and 9g fiber. Count each portion as 1 vegetable serving.