Chicken Chili Soup
Here's a delicious meal in a bowl that's rich in protein and loaded with fiber and protective carotenoids (from the pumpkin). It's easy and quick to prepare. Use leftovers for a nourishing lunch.
- 1 lb. chicken tenders or skinless breast (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 12-oz. container salsa (1 roasted garlic & 1 green chili salsa)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2-1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups aged cheddar cheese (grated)
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 bunch cilantro, about 1/2 cup chopped (optional garnish)
- 3 15-oz. cans pinto and/or great northern navy beans, drained, rinsed
Saute chicken, onion and garlic in olive oil until chicken turns white. Combine remaining ingredients, except cheese and cilantro. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cheese (and cilantro) during last 10 minutes of simmering.
Makes 8 cups. Each portion provides about 400 calories, 32g protein, 12g fat (6g sat), 60mg cholesterol, 42g carbohydrates, 13g fiber, 875mg sodium, 1100mg potassium, 220mg calcium.