Your First Appointment
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer, the UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center is here to help.
Making your first appointment
Call us at 858-822-6100 or toll-free 866-773-2703 to make an appointment. After your appointment is scheduled, we'll mail you a packet of information to review.
If you need translation services or interpretation for the hearing impaired, alert the appointment scheduling staff know when you call. We’ll be happy to accommodate you.
Preparing for your first appointment
- Review the list of X-rays, mammograms, ultrasounds, CT scans, MRIs, PET scans, glass slides, pathology reports, or other items that you were asked to hand-carry with you to your first appointment. If any are missing, or if you have questions, please call the New Patient Office, 858-822-6100, for assistance.
- Decide on an emergency contact, and gather that person's current phone numbers and address.
- Write down the questions and concerns you want to bring up with your doctor at your first appointment.
- Make sure you're up to date with all your general medical and dental care.
At your first appointment
- Bring the following items:
- X-rays, lab results or pathology reports related to your current condition
- Written list (or the bottles) of medications you are taking, both prescribed and over the counter, including vitamins, supplements and herbal remedies
- Name, phone numbers and address of your emergency contact
- Name and contact information of your primary care physician (PCP) and others involved in your care
- Your health insurance card(s), including Medicare or Medi-Cal cards
- Any co-payment required by your insurance
- A list of questions for your doctor and a pen and paper to write down answers
- We encourage you to bring a family member or friend with you to help listen and take notes during your appointment. We can also arrange for a social worker to accompany you. Whenever possible, please don't bring children since they may be a distraction for you.
- When you arrive, check in with registration at the main lobby information desk.
- Food service is available at the Come On In Café on the 2nd floor, and at an outdoor food and coffee kiosk at the northwest corner of the building.