Scallops in Orange/Ginger sauce with Raspberries and Mint
Fresh mint, cilantro sprigs and strips of orange peel make a nice garnish for a platter of these Asian-accented skewers.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce*
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- ¼ cup tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 18 medium-size sea scallops, side muscles trimmed
Mix first 7 ingredients in medium bowl to blend well. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.) Mix in remaining ingredients. Season orange-sesame sauce with salt and pepper.
Heat peanut oil and sesame oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Add to skillet; sauté until just opaque in center, about 2 minutes per side.
Add the sauce to pan and cook for about 30 seconds. Transfer to large bowl. Add mint and cilantro; toss to coat sprinkle with raspberries. Serve with toothpicks.
* Chili-garlic sauce is available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets.
Makes 8 appetizer servings.
Yield: 8 portions. Each portion provides about 91 calories, 7 grams protein, 3 grams fat, 10 grams carbohydrates, 1 grams fiber, 183 mg sodium, and 172 mg potassium.