Note: Nice served with fresh cornbread.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 lg. onion, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 lg. red pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans (about 3 cups) kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes, not drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth (or more to consistency)
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add turkey, chili powder and oregano, and cook until turkey slightly browned, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the pumpkin, beans, tomatoes, broth, salt, and pepper.
Cover and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes, checking to make sure there is enough fluid to prevent sticking.
Yield: 8 portions. Each portion provides about 260 calories, 20g protein, 9g fat (2g sat), 37mg cholesterol, 27g carboydrate, 8g fiber, 435mg sodium, 715mg potassium, and 75mg calcium.