Head and Neck Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
Our team is dedicated to clinical research. Your physician may discuss with you the possibility of joining a clinical trial, which could offer new treatment approaches that are not otherwise available.
The information below is not a complete list of all of our head and neck cancer trials. For more information on our trials or to find out eligibility criteria, please contact Larissa K. Low by email or 858-822-5223.
Kirin Tissue Registry
Assessment of efficacy of drug candidates which induce tumor immunity in melanoma or squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the head and neck
- Primary or metastatic SCC of the head and neck or melanoma
- Planned surgical resection of SCC head and neck tumors
- Need three 5-mm cubes (~2 mm3 total)
Coordinator: Brian Woodward, email or 858-822-6582
RTOG 1008: Randomized Phase II study of adjuvant concurrent radiation and chemotherapy versus radiation alone in resected high-risk malignant salivary gland tumors.
- Malignant major salivary glands, subtypes: high grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma, salivary duct carcinoma or high grade adenocarcinoma; minor salivary glands excluded
- Surgical resection with curative intent within 8 weeks prior to registration
- T3-T4 or N1-3 or T1-2 N0 with a close (1 mm) or microscopically positive surgical margin; M0
RTOG 1016: Phase III trial of radiotherapy plus Cetuximab versus chemotherapy in HPV-associated oropharynx cancer
- SCC of the oropharynx (tonsil, base of tongue, soft palate, oropharyngeal walls)
- Measurable disease at the primary site of nodal stations
- T1-2, N2a-N3 or T3-4, and N, M0
RTOG 0920: Phase III study of post-operative radiation therapy (IMRT) +/- Cetuximab for locally-advanced head and neck cancer
More Head and Neck Cancer Clinical Trials
- SCC of the head and neck
- Clinical stage T1, N1-2 or T2-3, N0-2, M0
- GTR within 7 weeks of registration
- At least one "intermediate" risk factor: Perineural invasion; LVI, Single lymph node > 3 cm or = 2 lymph nodes (all < 6 cm) [no extracapsular extension]; close margin(s) or resection (within 5 mm of surgical margin); T3 or microscopic T4a primary tumor, T2 oral cavity cancer with > 5 mm depth of invasion